Customers may be getting more creative as the economy limps along. But chances are you haven’t heard any of these whoppers about excuses for being late.
Past-due debtors are no laughing matter — but some of these crazy excuses for nonpayment, courtesy of Total Recall Message Center, may bring a chuckle:
- “The Feds took the check as a prime clue to a murder.”
- “Kids must have stolen your bill from the mailbox. We lose a lot of bills that way.”
- “The bill didn’t come on time.”
- “Your check went in the phone company envelope by mistake. They must have yours. Sort it out amongst yourselves.”
- “I never open anything from anyone asking for money.”
- “I don’t care if I have credit on Earth, as long as I have credit in Heaven.”
- “Aliens abducted it.”
- “My bookkeeper had an accident. She was trying to put on a sports bra, sprained her neck and has to wear a cervical collar so she can’t look down to fill out checks.”
- “The bank my money was in was robbed.”
- “I’ve been on vacation for the past three months and haven’t had time to pay the bills.”
- “I would love to pay the bill, but I don’t want to!”
What are some of the most creative excuses for nonpayment you’ve heard? Share them here.